Monday, April 24, 2006

Aerogramme - Whatever happened ?

Whatever happened to Aerogramme? Those were the days of the early nineties, while at home in Bangalore, I was eagerly waiting for the mailman's rounds. As he approached out gate with bundles in his hand, I always knew what he had in store for me at a distance. It was the blue and red stripes at the envelope corners or the unique letter from USA called the "Aerogramme" with it colorful artwork on one side and legible time and date stamped on the front.


The bigger envelopes with threads or tape were from Universities and the Aerogrammes were from friends. Oh! the feelings of anticipation like a lover who may have heart throbbing reply, was about getting admission, assistant ship or photos of life on campus. There was no internet or email and everything was long hand. This was in 90's, I suddenly feel archiac and it feels good.

Fast Forward 15 years later, I am in New York. I have been trying to get hold of these Aerogrammes, so I can make an attempt to write longhand to Megha, hoping that her highschool grooming in 21st century Bangalore would give a flavor of "how it used to be?" So, I begin making the rounds to all the postoffice in New York City. But to my surprise, there was none to be found. No one told me it was stopped, the postal clerks looked at me as though I was coming from a different planet and with a little smirk or laugh were telling me " No, who uses that these days?". So, I make my final trip to the Central 24 hr postoffice on 34th street which is as wide as the whole block. I go inside stand int he information line at 10 PM and gaze at the wonderful ceilings of the 18th century and wonder, if this was a place for Piegons to deliver mail. But the paintings and geometric design made me count the triangles and the star which unavoidably looked the Star of David, making me wonder if the architect could have been Jewish or just happened to be a star.. After 10 minutes of waiting in the long hallowed hall with tall ceilings, the clerk told me , he had to find out if they still made it. I held my breadth . Something positive will turn out , I thought. Well the clerk replied , "Aerogrammes was not available at this time Please come back during day times and check out counter 33 & 34".

I was not guarentted of them, but was given some hope it could still exist and Aerogramme hope continues to linger on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home